How to Apply
Summer 2022 Programs Dates
Rolling Admissions Deadline for Summer Programs: June 1st
Program Start: Tuesday, July 5, 2022
Program End: Thursday, July 28, 2022
Middle School Program Offerings (For current 6th & 7th graders)
NYC Ecology (In-Person)
SHSAT Preparation (Virtual)
2) High School Program Offerings (for current 8th,9th,10th, & 11th graders)
High School In-Person Program
1. Anatomy & Physiology
2. Environmental Studies
3. Optical Science & Engineering
4. Social Science Research Seminar
High School Virtual Program
Psychology & Career Development Seminar (Virtual)
Submitting a Complete Application
Admission to the STEP Academy is selective and based primarily on a student’s academic record. Interested students must submit a completed program application by the stated deadline. Personal essays, report cards or transcripts, teacher evaluations, and income verification documents (for students claiming eligibility based on economic factors) are essential components of the application. We are unable to consider incomplete applications.
To be eligible for the STEP Academy program a student must be:
- Enrolled in grades 7 -12 with good academic standing with a minimum grade point average of 80 overall, and an 80 or above in both math and science courses.
- A resident of New York State.
- A member of a historically underrepresented group (as defined by the New York State Education Department) in the scientific, technical, health-related, and licensed professions. This includes African-American, Hispanic/Latino, Native American Indian, and Alaskan Native or must qualify as economically disadvantaged based on the household income criteria indicated in the following table.
Income Eligibility Criteria 2021 -2022
|Household Members||Maximum Household Eligible Income for New York State Opportunity Programs Ending for Tax year 2020|
* For 2021-22, add $8,288 for each additional family member in excess of 8.
Once admitted to the program students are expected to:
- Attend and participate in all STEP activities and classes
- Arrive at STEP sessions on time and ready to participate with applicable assignments and materials
- Conduct themselves in a manner conducive to their own learning and to the learning of others